This past Sunday, I knew I would be enjoying my time sitting in front of the television screen, watching the Golden Globes. And of course, what kind of viewing party for one would be complete without snacks? But what to eat? And then it hit me: CHEESE
I guess this craving started when I was browsing the book store earlier in the day with my boyfriend. I came upon a vegan cookbook and flipped through the recipes on the pages and there it was: Vegan Nachos. My craving for cheese hit the roof and I told my boyfriend that I found my dinner inspiration for the night !
There’s nothing better than a meal with cheese. Pasta and cheese, pizza and cheese, potatoes and cheese, chips and cheese…it’s just all so glorious !!!!! Cheese is one of my most favorite foods, but with this Daniel Fast (read about it in my previous post here), I’m restricted from eating it. But thaaaaaankkkkkk goodnesss for healthy vegan people who know how I feel, because they’ve created Daiya cheese.
Daiya cheese is a dairy-free cheese alternative created by GENIUSES ! It has the bold flavor, stretch and texture of regular cheese but without the compromise. It’s perfect for lactose-intolerant people, vegans, and perfect for me and this new recipe I tried out: Cheesy Vegan Potato Nachos.
I know this recipe may sound like a carb overload, but here’s the thing: I don’t care ! Lol. I was able to eat cheesy nachos and potatoes in front of my television like the fat kid I really am and not feel bad about what I ate because I was using healthier ingredients. It was absolutely AMAZING ! Lol.
Check out the pictures below along with an ingredients list and step by step instructions ! 🙂
- 1-2 whole Potatoes- I got mine from the grocery store where they already chopped and seasoned them
- Green peppers- I wanted to stay simple, but you can add other vegetables you want on your nachos, like tomatoes, jalapenos, and lettuce.
- Tofu- Optional for those who want a protein in the mix.
- Daiya cheese- I love spicy cheese, so I chose Pepper Jack Daiya Cheese that I got from Whole Foods in the Vegan section.
- Whole Wheat tortillas that are Daniel Fast friendly- It can’t have any sugar, yeast, and unnatural ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prep a baking sheet for your potatoes.
- Thinly slice potatoes using a knife or potato cutter.
- Place sliced potatoes on baking sheet, making sure each slice is flat.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are as crispy as you want them.
- In the meantime, cut up your veggies to small pieces and cut your tortillas to triangles.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and combine the potatoes together to the middle of the baking sheet.
- Take your preferred flavor of Daiya cheese and veggies and layer them on top of the potatoes, cheese first, then veggies. I did this about twice because all my veggies couldn’t fit on one layer. Plus, I wanted to add more cheese. Haha !
- Lower heat on the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and put potatoes, veggies, and cheese in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- On a separate baking sheet, lay your triangle shaped tortillas flat and place them in the oven for 5 minutes or until desired crispness for your chip is achieved.
- Remove from heat when it’s all finished and serve.
Munch on, my beauties !
Happy Thursday Xo